Scuba diving in Australia is one of the best things you can add to your travel bucket list and the Great Barrier Reef is the ultimate destination for any traveller wanting to explore the underwater world. Alongside our Cairns based PADI scuba diving courses, we’ve also teamed up with our dive guys to offer you the opportunity to jump on a dive live-aboard to Ribbon Reef and some of the best dive sites on the Great Barrier Reef.
Departing everyday the 1 and 2 night experience takes in some of the most pristine and untouched dive sites on the Great Barrier Reef, most of which are only accessible by longer live-aboards so are heaps less busy! Rest assured, there is plenty of opportunity to clock up some serious time underwater exploring the reef, with the opportunity to scuba dive up to 11 times over 8 different dive sites.
This means you have heaps of time to explore the reef and meet the amazing marine life that calls it home. One of the night dive highlights are the graceful reef tip sharks, sharing the water with them will give you a new found respect and love for the oceans ultimate hunter.
You also have the option to complete your Advanced Open Water Certification during your trip, this allows you to dive to 30 metres and opens up an even bigger world of exploration both during your 4 day experience and beyond.
As an added bonus, if your chosen departure date falls in June, July or August you’ll be slap in the middle of the Minke whale migration. During this period the trip has a 90% success rate for whale sightings and our dive partners have one of the very few permits allowing customers to swim with the whales!
“The ultimate in diving luxury – I couldn’t have asked for better diving or service”
How’s that for an epic experience?!
If you have a bit more time or want some even more spectacular dive sites to explore then our 3 and 4 night dive options offer a longer and even more time underwater!
The 3 night takes in the Southern Ribbon Reefs with 10 dives – including 2 nights dives. The Ribbon Reefs are much further from the Australian mainland and as a result they’re much less busy, which of course means beautiful corals and heaps of marine life!
Diving on the Great Barrier Reef is awesome, that’s a given, but what about your base for this whole thing?!
Well you’ll be sailing on the beautiful Taka boat, a purpose built dive vessel which comes kitted out with all the comforts of home: A spacious lounge area, plenty of room on the sun deck and air conditioned rooms mean you’ll be able to relax in comfort after a hard day under the water!
Down on the dive deck there is more than enough room to get kitted up, grab a fresh water shower post-dive and of course a generous dive platform for easy water entry and exit.
In short, you’ll have up to 4 days of incredible scuba diving in one of the best dive locations in the world from one of the most beautiful and comfortable dive boats in Australia.
What’s not to like about that?!
Want to join this amazing experience but need to do your PADI Open Water first?
No worries – we offer a full range of scuba dive courses in Cairns.
|Accommodation Options||Double Ensuite, Twin Ensuite, Quad Share|
|Trip Options||2 Day 1 Night, 3 Day 2 Night, 4 Day 3 Night, 5 Day 4 Night, 6 Day 5 Night, 7 Day 6 Night|
Dive sites include:
- Andys Postcard
- Clam Gardens
- Steves Bommie
- Temple of Doom
- Xmas Tree Bommie
- 2 2/3
- Agincourt Reefs
- Veer Garden
- Split Bommi
- Three Sisters
- Hogs Breath
- Norman Reef
- Saxon Reef
Dive sites are subject to conditions, weather and boat schedule
Day Of Arrival
• Deep Sea Divers Den will provide a shuttle from your Cairns’ City accommodation*, pick up is at 7:30am.
• Once at Deep Sea Facility we will finalise any paperwork and arrange storage for any excess luggage. Then it is off to the Cairns Marlin Marina where our transfer vessel SeaQuest awaits to take you away to your snorkelling/diving adventure.
• A hop, skip and jump away is our first destination on the reef (90 mins) and on the way out our talented and experienced crew will take you through a safety briefing for the boat and also your chosen activity.
• Once at the reef is time to gear up and explore the hidden wonders that make it the GREAT Barrier Reef.
• Lunch is provided on board with something for everyone. A delicious tropical buffet with your choice of salads, cold meats and fruit.Complimentary Tea, Coffee and Water is also available
• In the afternoon it is time for another reef location and more exploration before we transfer to our Liveaboard vessel OceanQuest.
• After settling in on-board there is the chance to hit the water again in the afternoon before taking some time to relax and chill.
• Dinner is served at 5pm and is freshly prepared on board by one of our wonderful chefs.
• Then it is time to find out what goes bump in the night on the Great Barrier Reef. Our Certified Divers have the opportunity to do a Night dive and our snorkellers get to experience our “Sharks in the Dark” program
• Time now to relax and maybe trade “fish stories” with the other guests (I swear it was THIS big!). The bar is open until 10:30pm but make sure you get a good nights sleep as the Reef awaits you in the morning!
DIVES; 4 (Inc 1 Night Dive)
Full Days Of Stay
Wake up to the Sunrise on the Reef and get ready to witness the “changing of the guard” on your first dive of the day. The early morning dive gives the opportunity to witness the night patrol going to bed and the daylight critters coming out to play. Well worth the early wake up call!
• Most important meal of the day and it is a buffet style brekkie lovingly prepared by our on board chef.
• After Breakfast there are two more dive/snorkel opportunities
• Lunch is a buffet freshly prepared each day by one of our wonderful chefs.
• Time in the afternoon for some relaxing as well as your fourth dive of the day.
• Wonder what’s for Dinner?? Once again prepared for you by our rock star chef of the day
• What will we see tonight? Time to jump in for the Night Dive and find out or maybe even try a Fluoro Dive!
• Time to chill and contemplate what an awesome day it has been before bedtime so we can do it all again tomorrow.
DIVES; 5 (Inc 1 Night Dive)
Day Of Departure
Good Morning Sunshine! Time to get out there and make the most of your final day on the Reef with the Early Morning Dive.
• Breakfast buffet, Yum
•After breakfast it is the last of your scuba adventures and time to pack up and get ready to sadly farewell your OceanQuest family until the next time. (go on stay one more day! Ask the crew about upgrading for another night – subject to availability)
•Fill up on one more yummy meal with the buffet lunch
• 3pm transfer to SeaQuest for the 90min trip back to the Cairns Marlin Marina
• Once back into Cairns we will return to the Divers Den facility to collect any luggage and then arrange to have you transferred to your City Accommodation*.
– Cairns city transfers
– All quality diving and snorkelling equipment, including wetsuits and dive computer
– 2 Cell torch hire for night dive
– All meals whilst on board. Tea, coffee and chilled water all day
– Air fills
– Bed linen
– Fresh showers
What’s not included: Reef and Port Authority charge @ $20 per day (includes $3.50 EMC, $16.50 fuel levy, Port & Administration Charges, GST), camera/video hire, soft drinks, alcohol, snacks. Guided dives.
What to bring: Hat , towel, swimsuit, sunscreen and sunglasses.
*BCD, regulator, dive computer, mask, snorkel, full foot fins, 5mm Short arm/leg wetsuit
Departs: 8:00am, Daily
Returns: 4:30pm, Daily
– Digital camera hire
– Bar purchase (snacks, beverages)
— Dive guide ($15 per person, per dive)
– Prescription masks
CERTIFIED DIVERS – Please remember to bring your dive card. If you do not you may be required to sign a ‘Statutory Declration’ and dive with an Instructor on your first dive which will cost an extra $15.00 Open date tickets (subject to availability) please give 7 days notice to book