Byron Bay is one of our teams favourite places on the planet.
Infamous for its alternative culture, laid back vibe and barefoot living, Byron is a paradise for any traveller on the east coast trail.
Although made famous by it’s abundance of surf spots (and it features heavily in our 2 and 3 month Australia surf experiences as well as our Australia Surf Instructor experience) it is also home to the Julian Rocks Marine Reserve, sitting just 2.5km off the gorgeous sandy beaches of Byron.
This dive site is teeming with marine life and there are two major species that draw divers from all over the world to hit the water here; Grey Nurse Sharks and Manta Rays.
“Such an amazing experience, Julian Rocks has some much to see!”
The daunting looking Grey Nurse Sharks are incredible to dive with (season between May and November) and despite their appearances, they are placid and spending time up close with them is something you’ll be hard pushed to forget.
And then there’s the graceful Mantas, these beautiful creatures come to feed on the Plankton blooms, another encounter that will feature highly in any divers bucket list.
But it’s not just these two that you should be heading here for. Julian Rocks has a whole host of awesome creatures that call this place home and can be found year round.
Turtles, Cuttlefish, Wobbegong Sharks, Bull Rays, shoals of Eagle Rays and course a teeming array of corals which play home to a colourful array of smaller species like Box Fish and of course Clown Fish!
This year-round variety means Julian Rocks has been voted into the Top 5 Dive Spots in Australia and with a country boasting the Great Barrier Reef, that’s a pretty big deal!
All of this together makes Byron Bay a great location to learn to dive and if you just want to give it a try, get started on your PADI or SSI qualifications or further your existing dive courses, we’ve got you covered.
And of course after a day spent learning and diving you’re going to want to relax and explore, being based in Byron Bay means you’re spoilt for choice!
Party the night away at places like Cheeky Monkeys, enjoy live music and Sunday Sessions at the Beach Hotel or go check out the open mic night at the famous Arts Factory Hostel.
If you’re wanting to kick back and slow life down a bit, how about heading up to the iconic lighthouse for sunrise or sunset? It’s the most Easterly place in Australia and the perfect spot to spend a few hours watching the annual whale migration or spot pods of dolphins playing in the waves.
And the waves? Well you’ll want to test them out too! Byron is a great place to learn to surf or improve if you’re already hooked on the sport. Breaks like the Pass, The Wreck and Main Beach offer up everything from mellow spilling waves for beginners to hollow, fast barrels for the more advanced.
Byron really is a beach bum and water lovers paradise. So if you’re wanting some epic diving, busy nightlife and spectacular surf-filled beaches, it’s a no brainer!
- Open Water; Your first step into the world of professional Diving, this course will teach you all the skills needed to get you started. Following a series of pool training sessions and ocean dives, you’ll walk away with a full PADI qualification. Max depth 18m
- Advanced Open Water; A great bolt on to the OW experience this is a great way to practice your skills (especially buoyancy) and clock up some more dives too. We highly recommend doing the deep water specialty so you can then dive to 30m. Max depth 30m
- Rescue Diver; So you’ve discovered a real passion for Diving and want to take the next step to turning it into a career? The Rescue Diver qualification is the first challenge on that route. Learn to recover missing divers, safely get them to shore and administer life support. It’s a tough module but heaps of fun and it will really solidify your existing Dive skills. Max Depth 30m
- Introduction to diving right through to professional qualification
- Full range of PADI and SSI dive qualifications, from introduction through to professional level
- Amazing range of marine life year round
- Professional team of experienced dive instructors to guide you through
- All classroom materials
- Fully accredited PADI and SSI dive centre
- Learn at one of Australias top dive sites
- World recognised qualifications
- Kick back and enjoy the vibe of the Byron bubble
- Full PADI or SSI training curriculum and certification
- All dive equipment and manuals (and 10% off if you want to buy your own)
- Dives as follows;
- Introductory Dive – 1 Dive
- Open Water – 4 Dives
- Advanced Open Water – 5 Dives
- Rescue Diver – 4 Dives
- Rescue diver certification also requires a current first aid certification – this can added for an additional £140 and takes an extra day