When it comes to scuba diving, one of the most famous spots on the planet is, without a doubt, the Great Barrier Reef.
This huge, natural landmark (viewable from space!) is Australia’s biggest tourist attraction with many backpackers and travellers visiting each day to sample the clean, beautiful waters, either as qualified divers or learning to scuba dive.
So we’ve teamed up with a great Cairns based dive company to allow you to do just that. Take your first steps into the world of scuba diving with everything from PADI Open Water Courses through to Rescue Diver Qualifications and even amazing live-aboard packages on the Outer Barrier Reef at some exclusive dive moorings.
In fact, these are the same guys that certified some of the Epic Gap Year team for their PADI Open Water Dive certifications way back when they started travelling! We’ve dived with them a few times since, so we are sure you will have an epic time whilst in good hands!
During your land based theory and teaching days you’ll be kicking back in an air conditioned classroom and your pool session are in an covered, heated pool purpose built for diving. This allows you to comfortably and effectively practice all the skills needed to pass your course. They’ve certified over 100,000 divers so this is a reassuring pass rate.
No doubt though, your time spent on the Barrier Reef will be the highlight of whichever course or experience you choose to get involved with. We offer both day trip options and overnight options, allowing you to spend a night on board a dive live-aboard and explore even more dive sites.
Our dive suppliers have some exclusive dive moorings across Norman, Saxon and Hastings reef (about 70km off the coastline of Cairns) where you can explore the impressive coral formations, swim alongside the vast array of marine life that call it home and add a world recognised qualification to your CV in the process.
“I was only going to do my Open Water – but I got hooked and went all the way to Divemaster!”
Whatever course you choose, you can expect great professional instruction (both in water and land based theory), plenty of time exploring the variety of dive sites and of course leave with a world recognised qualification and a new found love of the ocean.
We are leaving accommodation open on this experience as it allows you to pick something that suits your taste and budget, if you want some recommendations though our team will be happy to recommend some of Cairns’ amazing accommodation.
Want to dive but Cairns isn’t the place for you? No worries – check out our dive experiences in Phi Phi, Khao Lak, Koh Tao, Gili T or Byron Bay instead!
|Day Trip Course Options||Open Water, Advanced Open Water|
|Liveaboard Course Options||Open Water (5 Day/2Night), Advanced (2 Day/1 Night), Advanced (3 Day/2 Night), Open Water & Advanced Combo (6 Day/3 Night), Rescue (4 Day/1 Night), Rescue 5 Day/2 Night|
- Open Water; Your first step into the world of professional Diving, this course will teach you all the skills needed to get you started. Following a series of pool training sessions and ocean dives, you’ll walk away with a full PADI qualification. Max depth 18m
- Advanced Open Water; A great bolt on to the OW experience this is a great way to practice your skills (especially buoyancy) and clock up some more dives too. We highly recommend doing the deep water specialty so you can then dive to 30m. Max depth 30m
- Rescue Diver; So you’ve discovered a real passion for Diving and want to take the next step to turning it into a career? The Rescue Diver qualification is the first challenge on that route. Learn to recover missing divers, safely get them to shore and administer life support. It’s a tough module but heaps of fun and it will really solidify your existing Dive skills. Max Depth 30m
- Introduction to diving right through to professional qualification
- Professional, PADI qualified instructors
- Dive warm, tropical waters with a range of dive sites
- Professional team of experienced dive instructors to guide you through
- All classroom materials
- Fully accredited 5* PADI dive centre
- Great range of dive sites
- World recognised qualifications
- Full PADI training, curriculum and certification
- All dive equipment and manuals
- Accommodation pick up and drop off
- Dives as follows;
- Open Water – Pool work + 5 Dives
- Open Water (2 Night Option) – Pool Work + 9 Dives
- Advanced Open Water – 7 Dives (5 Training, 2 For Fun!)
- Open Water and Advanced Open Water (3 Night Option) – 13 Dives (9 Training, 4 For Fun!)
- Rescue Diver (4 Night Option) – All Training Dives
- Rescue Diver (5 Night Option) – Training Dives + 3 Fun Dives
*Rescue Courses only commence on SATURDAYS
**PLEASE NOTE; EMC, PORT AUTHORITY & FUEL AT $20AUD PER PERSON PER DAY (subject to change without notice) payable locally is NOT INCLUDED**